Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Driving and Corn

Why hello from the Midwest!

We have been here a week and I can't tell you how nice it feels. My skin loves the lack of humidity, I love seeing stars, and the traffic here flows like a river (nice and smooth).

From what I can tell so far, Evan likes the area. I think we are a little anxious to get a place set up but we want to wait until I can find a job. (if anyone has any leads, go ahead and pass them along!!) And even thought we're anxious to get settled, I'm loving the time with my mom and Petters. I've missed the house and the familiar surroundings. Evan has been entertaining to watch when we venture around town. The best was when we saw the high school, coming from a high school where he had 600+ kids in his class alone to our 250 kids total. He laughed in disbelief when he saw the cafeteria. Haha.

Our trip actually flew by, even though we had to cram everything of importance into our car, along with 2 fish, 2 cats, and ourselves. We seriously could not find any room for anything else in the car and had to keep everything living in the front seats. The cats organized an escape from their carriers at approximately the same time about 10 minutes into our journey. So we ended up having them loose in the car, which actually ended up a lot better than I would have expected. Thor (the older one) kept to the floors, curled up and sleeping almost the whole time. He was such a trooper and waited the entire 22 hours to use the restroom. The little guy was a bit more anxious to move, but still apart from trying to fit places he couldn't, he curled up on our laps and slept most of the trip. He had no accidents apart from pooping on Evan upon his escape, we think he was scared and nervous, thankfully it didn't get on anything BUT Evan. The 2 fish were in a plastic container and survived the trip. But a week later, Moe passed. We flushed him yesterday, it was a bit sad considering he just made a long journey. During the trip we made 2 long stops (all other stops consisted of restroom, gas, food). We stopped in Toledo, OH to see his sister for breakfast and then stopped in Des Moines, IA to visit my dad and Karla briefly. Neither stops lasted longer than an hour. But we survived and slept soundly Monday night.

Tuesday - Thursday we settled down in Avoca and Evan started working on Friday. He will be bouncing between 3 different labs in Omaha and has already spent a day at each of them.

So far his impression of Omaha is.. "it's clean and a less populated version of Manhattan"

This past weekend we were busy. Friday night we went to my little cousin's high school football game. Saturday I went with my cousins, Maggie and Hana, shopping and had a sleep over. Sunday we had a family fish fry. It was a good weekend.

I'm very happy to be back and I really think Evan is going to like it.
Loving you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment